Thursday, December 4, 2008

'Close To You'

Gonna be honest here, I really like the Carpenters. Always kinda have, even as a teenager.

I mean, if it was uncool in 1973 for a teen to like the Carpenters, imagine 1996. Not only was it uncool, but most of my peers didn't even really know who the Carpenters were.

My fascination of the Carpenters has two origins.

One is the film "Tommy Boy" when Chris Farley's and David Spade's characters awkwardly land on "Superstar" as they're driving, trying to divorce themselves unsuccessfully from loving the song. Eventually, they end up singing it with much vim and vigor.

Two, I saw the "The Karen Carpenter Story" on TV and I thought it really sad that someone as pretty and talented as Karent Carpenter was so sad.

Anyway, how can anyone not like the Carpenters? Who does like infectious melodies, borderline corny lyrics and breathtaking vocals? It's like not liking ice cream.

Plus, Karen played the drums. At the time, that seems really appealing to me.

No comments: