Wednesday, October 27, 2010

'Spellbound' & 'Gaslight'

Funny or sad story: I was watching Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound when I started researching Ingrid Bergman.

From 1942-1946, she starred in Casablanca, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Gaslight, The Bells of St. Marys, Spellbound and Notorious. It's a five-year span in which she got three of her six Best Actress Oscar nominations (winning once). That's a salty five years of acting.

The only reason this is funny-sad is because I saw Gaslight on the list and I started reading about it and I realized I'd just watched it. Like two weeks before.

After a little bit about the plot, I remember it now. Opera singer dies. Niece and new, creepy husband move into house. Husband turns out to be murderer of opera-singing aunt looking for jewels that he forgot to steal in the first place.

Anyway, Bergman is great, but Spellbound is by leaps and miles the better film. Although, I could probably do without Gregory Peck. I'm not too into what he's bringing although Hitchcock seems to milk everything out of his actors.

No comments: