Wednesday, November 24, 2010

'Odd Man Out'

My favorite part of the film is when James Mason's Irish accent comes and goes.

An interesting production note about this film is that it featured a lot of unknown actors from the local Irish theatre scene to portray a group of people that probably existed within their lifetime.

It's hard to truly figure out Ireland. It's two countries -- the Republic of and Northern Ireland. It's a country divided and that's being kind.

They can't even fight the British well or long enough for it to matter without them fighting each other as to whether they should be British or Irish or Catholic or Protestant. Why the religion thing matters so much is a mystery.

I'm a spiritual guy. I get religion. I don't necessarily begrudge anyone worshipping as they see fit. But I do not understand religion as a means of turmoil and violence. Nor do I understand why one's form of religion should matter to anyone else. Why it's such a hot topic amongst people baffles me, honestly.

It's more than relgion, however. It's all about the idea of sovreignty and freedom, too. Why they can't all agree that those two are pretty cool things and they're easily attainable is, too, a mystery.

At least it gives us James Mason films.

No comments: