Sunday, November 28, 2010

'Rumours'

The last ever cassette tape I purchased was well into the 2000s at a Hastings in Waxahachie, Texas.

Hastings, as discussed before, are a combo of book-music-movie store that are generally found in mid-sized college towns and typically have very little competition in forms of Barnes and Nobles and Best Buys.

Anyway, they always had really good music selections and they allowed you to special order hard-to-find records. Anyway, they also were the last retail joint to sell cassette tapes, and at the time the vehicle I was driving had a tape deck. Cassettes were insanely cheap. I bought Rumours for $1.

It's one of my favorite albums, but it's not altogether great. It's just good. I think whatever value it has comes from the fact that everyone in the band were in relationships with each other and they were all breaking up. The McVie's had gotten a divorce. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were like that couple you knew in high school that had some knock-down drag outs, but always made up later.

My favorite part of Fleetwood Mac was Buckingham's vocals and guitar playing. His pickless technique on guitar is often breathtakingly beautiful. His vocals are underrated. I think it's unique and good. You makes you think automatically about Fleetwood Mac and takes your mind automatically to his songs.

No comments: