Thursday, November 4, 2010

'The Wolf Man'

Coincidentally, I received The Wolf Man, the 1941 horror classic, via Netflix on Oct. 30 -- the day before Halloween.

Considering its 70 years old and it was Halloween, I watched it with my four-year-old daughter. Of all parently things I've learned, determining what is appropriate for my child to watch or listen to has been one of the hardest.

I grew up in the 1980s watching horror films throughout that were 100 times more horrific and graphic than The Wolf Man. Then again, I lived a childhood scared to death of the dark, of monsters, of going to sleep (thanks to Wes Craven) and had vivid and awful nightmares.

Fortunately, my kid's pretty sharp. She said that she would probably have bad dreams with the wolf man in them, although I reasoned with her that the wolf man was, in fact, extremely silly and no harm to anyone.

I don't think anything in black and white can really strike fear in my kid's heart.

No comments: