Friday, August 27, 2010

'An American Werewolf In London'

I was initially surprised to see this film on the 1,001 list because I just assumed it was about as dumb as you can get.

Don't get me wrong, this film is dumb. Yet, I watched it straight through and didn't come out thinking I'd wasted an hour and a half of my time. It was entertaining. The acting is about as bad as you get post 1970.

The writing is whatever. The plot is about as shakey as you can get, even for a film about werewolves.

I mean, the most unbelievable aspect of the entire film is that jackwagon David sleeping with the nurse, which is ridiculous. No way someone that hot with a career as a nurse (sworn to care for and ease discomfort of her patients) is going to sleep with the dorkiest and personality-deprived American like David. Just isn't happening. He'd have a better shot at becoming a werewolf.

In this film, he did both.

The film impressed/surprised on two fronts. The sex scene and the scene in the adult film house were shocking. I couldn't believe how graphic they got.

Secondly, the make-up jobs on the dead friend, Jack, the other werewolf victims and even the stormtroopers in David's dream are really, really good. The gore in this film was surprising because I thought they would play it safe. Instead, this is a very edgy film with sex and violence. I love both.

No comments: