Wednesday, August 4, 2010

'Mad Max'

About a month ago, it was reported that Mel Gibson, the ultra-billionaire actor and moviemaker, was beating up on his girlfriend and leaving rather inappropriate phone messages on her machine.

Since, the recordings have been made public. When all is said and done, Gibson will probably be ruined in terms of making new films.

He's a fucking nut.

Now, I can typically separate one's nuttiness from their roles in films, records or general appreciation. Like, I have no problem watching Christian Bale films despite him going batshit on a cinematographer.

I watch Roman Polanski films. I still clap to Gary Glitter's "Rock 'n' Roll" at hockey games. Vince Neil killed the guy from Hanoi Rocks and some people in another car, while drunk, and I still own Shout at the Devil.

For whatever reason, I could not watch Mad Max and not think about Gibson's drinking, apparent drug use, anti-semitic and racist comments. Mind you, this film came out 30 years ago. He was a completely different person on a different stage in his career. While filming, there's no way he imagined being on the financial level he is now.

Still, all I see is the nut screaming at his girlfriend over the phone.

No comments: