Tuesday, August 24, 2010

'OK Computer'

When I discussed the album Country Living by Roxy Music, I mentioned that the first song on side A -- "The Thrill of It All" -- was featured on an NPR music show discussing the best intro songs on albums.

For me, "Airbag" is one of the best, featured on Radiohead's seminal record, OK Computer.

It has the right amount of energy and it properly prepares the listener for what he or she are about to experience: Rock music on a precise note and standing on a higher level of accomplishment.

OK Computer is an absolutely fantastic record. Probably one of the top or so in my lifetime. It's like my generation's Revolver. After 16 years, it still stands very strong. If it were released today, teenagers, rock critics and hipsters would poop their pants. Not many albums at all can say that.

It is considered to be the album that killed 1990s BritPop. That's interesting. How many albums have "killed" a genre. Nirvana's Nevermind apparently killed hair metal.

Personally, I'd like to think that The Strokes' Is This It killed the knuckleheaded cock rock (Limp Bizkit, Korn) and the boy band-bubblegum pop phenomenon (Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys). I could be wrong.

If you don't own OK Computer, you are probably an idiot.

No comments: