Wednesday, August 11, 2010

'De-Loused In The Comatorium'

I loved At The Drive-In and so I automatically fell in love with their much better incarnation, Mars Volta.

Not only was their music 100 times more dynamic, loud, complex and mind blowing, but the band itself was super fascinating.

They were all on hard drugs. Jeremy Michael Ward overdosed on heroin just before the release of the album.. Lead singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala and guitarist Omar Rodriguez were very open about their use of hard drugs to the point of their own destruction.

This is not their best album, in my opinion. Frances the Mute, frankly, makes my muscles tighten and my hair stand on end. Still, this is valuable rock music. It's probably the best released in the last 20 years.

If you like the album, check them out live. They take the energy on the record and up the ante a thousandfold. It's like a series of kicks to the stomach.

No comments: