Thursday, January 22, 2009

'No Man's Land'

This film has significance to me for two reasons:

For one, in 2001, I inexplicably watched the Academy Awards. At the time, I was in college and I began to be interested in good films. That year I had watched "In the Bedroom" and "Gosford Park," two films that were highly regarded that year.

I don't think I've watched the Academy Awards before or since. Nonetheless, "No Man's Land" won for Best Foreign Language film and I just sat and thought: "Hey, they make films in other countries!" and "That's the kind of film from another country that I'd be interested in!"

Eight years later, and here we are.

The other tie-in is that it's about the war that took place in the 1990s versus the Serbians and Bosnians. I think. I was in middle school at the time and we had Channel 1 -- basically a newscast for middle school kids that we had to watch 20 minutes after lunch. It's where Lisa Ling and Anderson Cooper got their starts and Linda Ellerby was somehow associated.

Anyway, every day it was something about that war. I have no clue how it started or really who was fighting who. Even now and after watching this film, it's all unknown (the details of the conflict) other than Milosovic was a bastard trying to kill off all the Muslims.

If it's confusing to me (with Wikipedia at hand) then it must have been a true clusterfuck then.

I must say, the image of the solider left for dead on the landmine is a perfect analogy for the West's treatment of these countries.

No comments: