Tuesday, January 27, 2009

'Ritual de lo Habitual'

I've never been a fan of Jane's Addiction and I could never quite pinpoint the reason.

They released albums right in my heyday of music listening (1990s). They were quirky. Good musicians.

But I've never liked them. After listening to "Ritual de lo Habitual' a couple of times, I know why.

They are as close to being cheesy, 1980s, Los Angeles hair metal as any band that associates itself with "alternative" rock music.

Bear in mind that the band formed in the mid-1980s, in Los Angeles. Also note that guitarist Dave Navarro is a shredder in addition to being a Hollywood glamour boy, who wears leather pants, make-up, various accessories and bangs models and actresses.

Also, just listen to their music. It's hippied up some, but for the most part it reeks of all that was bad with Poison and bands of that ilk. They're a closet glam band.

No comments: