Friday, January 16, 2009

'Time (The Revelator)'

First off, I think Welch looks just like a friend of mine. And that's a compliment to both.

I have certain expectations of people and never having listened to Gillian Welch perform, I could only assume what to expect. Or, more importantly, what a I wanted.

What I wanted was gently strummed acoustic guitars. Maybe some Dobro, lap steal, banjo and mandolin, without getting all folksy.

I wanted lyrics that sounded like they were scratched into and struck through over and over in a grubby notebook.

I wanted vocals that sounded like they were honed in the foothills of Applachia. Without sounding all hillbilly.

I wanted sincere craftmanship. I wanted art that the artists had poured his or her heart into and not given up until it satisfied him or her -- and not necessarily me.

While watching, listening to and reading all this crap, there are certain things that I am extremely satstified with and Welch is one of them. This album is absolutely beautiful. Breathtaking at times. It's more honest of an album than you'll find anywhere during any point in history.

No comments: