Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'Can't Buy a Thrill'

That's it. I'm officially a fan of Steely Dan. After 28 years. After about eight years upon first receiving their 1977 opus "Aja." I'm a fan. So much of a fan that I am inclined to purchase their catalog on compact disc.

"Can't Buy a Thrill" is a really good album. And it was their first. I like some of their other albums a little better, but not much. Their technical fluidity, acuteness and flair just oozes from my gameroom speakers.

The scratch and jump of the turntable as it rolls through their hits ("Reelin' in the Years," "Dirty Work") and their hidden gems ("Brooklyn," "Kings" and "Do It Again") is one of the better sonic experiences I've had the last several years.

And I don't think I'd be here at 26 or 21. It had to be now. At 28, listening and enjoying Steely Dan makes so much more sense. It feels as if everything I've listened to before now built up to this moment. Of loving Steely Dan.

Man, I need religion.

No comments: