Tuesday, February 17, 2009

'Chicago Transit Authority'

Here's my story regarding Chicago:

I'd never listened to Chicago before college mostly because they weren't huge on classic rock radio stations and I didn't listen to a ton of pop/soft rock stations. I considered them "Uncle Rock" -- the sub-genre of 1970s and 1980s rock music that your uncles (or someone of their ilk) always tried to get you into. See: Doobie Brothers, Foghat, .38 Special, et al.

In college, the biggest vice for me (outside of the other stuff) was VH1's "Behind the Music" series -- hour-long shows about bands or musical artists with interviews and intriguing storytelling. Basically, this show was a means for me to learn about and listen to a band without having to buy an album. I could realize that Poison sucked without giving it more than an hour of my time.

Having no clue about Chicago, I watched their "Behind the Music" unsurprised about their horniness, but shocked to learn about Terry Kath's ability as a lead singer and guitarist. It almost made me overlook the horns and cheesy songs.

Later, a friend and I talked Chicago and he stated how lame they were and I brought up the greatness of Terry Kath and he retorted that I had seen the "Behind the Music" too many times.

And he was right. I had. Chicago does suck. They sound like a good high school marching band. End of story.

No comments: