Thursday, February 19, 2009

'Taste of Cherry'

This little project has allowed me to watch a lot of foreign films that I would not have watched otherwise, as I've noted previously.

I've seen a handful of films from the Middle East and the southern part of Asia. "Taste of Cherry" is Iranian. And I've found that a lot of movies -- or the ones I've seen, a very small cross section -- from this area of the world are very meandering. The characters tend to wander around without really doing anything. Dialogue is very leading and you sit there knowing that these people would like to say something but instead they take 35 mintues to not say it.

Another aspect of these films are that they feature the scenery a lot and show off the beauty of these countries that seem so foreign and eerie.

No comments: