Friday, February 20, 2009

'The Yellow Wallpaper'

I was shocked to see that this story was published in 1892. I don't know why, however.

It's possible because it did actually happened. It's such a raw and unforgiving story about a person who is dealing with some kind of psychosis that is warping her brain to the point that she becomes obsessesed with the yellow wallpaper in her vacation house where she's recuperating from some hysterical fit. It's hinted that it's some post-partum depression.

When the narrator describes the smell in the room as a "yellow smell" I could almost taste it nad it kinda disgusted me. The color yellow can do that. The narrator says the smell is unlike all other yellow smells like a flower. Honestly, I think of bile, urine, jaundice and all kinds of bad stuff.

It's so stark and scary and something I would not have associated with typical female-penned literature in the late 1800s. But I guess I should know better.

No comments: