Tuesday, June 23, 2009

'The Day the Earth Stood Still'

I walked away from this film asking, "Was that it?"

The spaceship lands, chaos ensues, the alien has a message, kinda gets delivered and he leaves. And his message is pretty much stop fighting each other. Thanks spaceman! Wow. I'm glad we had an intergalactic Plato to come tell us that nuclear war was bad.

Anyway, even if it is a message film (damn near propaganda), it could at least have a story.

It did drive me crazy that not only was the alien human but he spoke good English because of all the, apparently, American radio they listened to a billion light years away. Hell, I can't even get an AM signal in my car.

Again, I don't understand the people in books and movies that gather around an alien spacecraft, much like the scene in Victorian England during "War of the Worlds." If a space ship lands on Earth, I'm going to be as far away from it as possible.

No comments: