Wednesday, June 24, 2009

'The Thin Blue Line'

Is it shocking at all that I had never, ever heard of this case even though there was an acclaimed documentary made about it and that it happened in the city I grew up near and lived in?

I guess there's probably a lot that happens in our backyard that we don't know about it. It's this that probably keeps us sane. Ignorance is bliss.

I was watching this film and was disgusted by the legal system that I think gets it right a vast majority of the time. Currently, Dallas County is basically auditing a ton of old cases I guess based on evidence through the Innocence Project and a number of people are being released after 20-odd years in jail.
Why is all of this happening in Dallas? Is our good ol' boy structure so deep and hasty that a guy can't get a fair shake? Remember, this case addressed in "The Thin Blue Line" has nothing to do with race. Just a knee-jerk desire to see people burn.

Watching the documentary and you just feel sick for the guy when every ounce of evidence points to the kid from Vidor (a horrible little pimple of a city).

No comments: