Tuesday, June 30, 2009

'Time Out'

I am a sucker for the TimeLife music infomercials. The best time to watch them was late at night when they would buy a whole hour of TV time to try and get some sucker college kid or jobless guy to buy the best of country and western or praise and worship music.

My favorite was the jazz collection. And one of my favorite eight seconds worth was music was the main saxophone riff from The Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Take Five" from "Time Out."

I always thought the guy playing sax was Brubeck, but I later learned that it was Paul Desmond and, in fact, Brubeck was the piano player.

Listening to the entire album and you realize that Brubeck is a fantastic player and he looks like the coolest guy in the room. The type of guy that you'd want to be around because he was probably nerdy enough to be humbled, but awesome enough to be cooler than you.

No comments: